The venue of the SFB 1432 Retreat is the Konzil Konstanz.
This building was erected between 1388 and 1391 as a grain store and warehouse and hosted the Konstanz canvas fair for a time. From 1414 to 1418, it was the venue for the only election of a pope north of the Alps. The conclave convened from 8 to 11 November 1417 on the first floor of the building and elected Cardinal Otto Colonna, under the name Martin V, as the sole Pope. In the 19th century, the upper hall was used for an exhibition of commemorative artefacts on the Council of Konstanz, and as a result, the building became known as the ‘Konzil’ (Council). Altered several times since that time, this historical building has been used as a venue for concerts and events since the beginning of the 20th century.
It is within a short walking distance of approximately 5 min (400 m) from the main railway station in Konstanz.